Friday, December 7, 2012

best trainers ever

And, the award for 'Best Trainers Ever' goes to ... (drum roll sound here) ...
 
Tony & Vivian Reyes!

Tony & Vivian own & operate AOG Fitness out of the gym they built in their backyard.  It's awesome.
 
Seriously, don't they just look like awesome people?!  They are.  I accidentally found them.  And, I am so thankful that I did.

Spring of 2011 had me looking for a local gym, a trainer, a running buddy, something, anything(one) that could help me.  Earlier in 2011, I decided I needed to (and, wanted to) take getting active more serious and set out to do just that.  However, I wasn't getting anywhere on my own.  I really, really wanted to 'work out' but I was clueless as to what, when, where, how or why.  The Internet had me confused and overwhelmed and I had no knowledge or background of my own (not even high school athletics) to fall back on.  I needed real, live resources.  I needed real, live guidance.  And, a real, live babysitter person to ask me where I've been when I don't show up as scheduled.

So, I began to search someone out.  I googled for gyms, I asked people what they did, where they went, who they used to get and stay fit.  I was reading people's shirts to see what gyms they were advertising for.  (For real, I began paying attention to what people were wearing simply hoping a gym or trainer would be advertised!)  This turned out to be genius on my part.  Why?  Because, I saw a shirt.

One night in April-ish, my husband and I were eating at the local Pizza Hut with our family.  And, an old high school acquaintance came in with hers.  There were a hundred of them.  Okay, not really a hundred but alot.  They have a big family.  And, one of her brothers was wearing a shirt.  It said "AOG Fitness".  So, I pulled out my handy-dandy iPhone and googled it.  A link to a Facebook page was given.  I clicked it and began looking through their pics.  And, thought 'I think I could like these people.'  Why?  Well, they were working out in their driveway (I could see construction in the background, it was the start of their gym).  And, there weren't very many people in the pics which made me feel like there would be a small group of people at any given time.  I liked the idea of it being low-key.  It made me feel more comfortable with the idea of going.

So, I emailed them to ask a few questions.  And, I began to drive by their location to spy.  After two drive-bys, I finally got the nerve to dress the part of 'work out person' and drove over again with the intent of getting out of the car, walking up and starting this new adventure.  But, I didn't.  I was a chicken.  So, I just kept driving.  The next day, I made my husband go with me.  I was going to have him drop me off (I thought this might actually make me get out of the car).  As he began to slow down to turn into the driveway, I got all goofy and said "Never mind!  Not today.  Keep going.'  So, he did.  He accelerated to drive away.  And, then we noticed some young guy chasing after us.  Apparently, they had noticed my drive-bys.  And, on this last one, Tony's younger brother decided to chase us.  Kind of funny now but not at the time.  I was so embarrassed.

I let a few weeks go by before I got up the nerve to go again.  MD decided he would go with me; we both dressed to work out and headed that way.  We arrived, actually got out of the car and walked up to the gym (the driveway, at the time).  I introduced myself as the crazy lady who kept emailing "I should be there today" but never showed.  We also confessed to being the drive-by that was chased.  The introduction was a slightly entertaining period of time.  The rest of that particular day at the gym as well as the next 30 days are a blur for me.  I learned new terms, had to ask someone to show me the motions again and again and began to start putting names and faces together.  I was more sore that I cared to be but my excitement for what I was beginning to do kept me going back.  Before I knew it, we were at the end of June 2011 and I was hooked on this working out thing.  Clueless to what I was actually doing (turns out it was CrossFit) but hooked all the same.

Since that first day (that I actually got out of the car), Tony and Vivian have become more like family to me than trainers, although they don't let up on being trainers and have nearly killed me on more than one occasion with overhead lifts, burpees and squats.  They work with me and my oldest daughter, Makayla, and, on occasion when she asks to go, they let my youngest daughter, Rebekah, in on the squats and jump rope action.  If I am honest, sometimes I go to the gym to just see them even though it's a day when I really, really don't want to work out.

This is Viv in a competition.  That is Tony counting her reps.
I've always liked this pic.  I stole it from one of their Facebook pages to share it with you.
 
This is one of their favorite pics.
Again, I stole it from one of their Facebook pages to share it with you.


I like Tony and Viv.  Makayla does, too.  In fact, she spent birthday money on another pair of 'Ms. Viv pants' because she thinks Ms. Viv is the bomb-diggity and wants to be like her at the gym.  I don't mind.  I think Ms. Viv is pretty cool, too.

Makayla and her first pair of Ms. Viv pants.

And, you know what?  I think they like me, too.  Why do I think that?  Well, when I arrived home yesterday, there was a package at my door.  I grabbed it, noticed it was Lululemon and thought I would need to walk it over to the neighbors' house because I hadn't ordered anything lately much less was I expecting anything from Lululemon.  Upon closer investigation (to see which neighbor it belonged to), I realized it was actually, in fact, addressed to me.  Confused but excited, I ripped into it.  And, began to jump up and down like a little kid.  Seriously and for real.  I jumped.  Up and down.  I think I even squealed a little.  I then, after I read the package insert, I realized it was from Tony and Viv and then I began to get all emotional.  Over a pair of shorts.  And, I inundated them with texts like "Seriously?!", "You shouldn't have!" and "I am SO excited!".  Wait.  You know what?!  I don't think I ever sent an actual 'thank you' text!  Oops.  Following this post, I will!  Tony and Viv bought me my first Lulu!  I seriously was excited (if you hadn't gathered).  Oh!  And, it was for my birthday.  For real.  They are the best trainers ever.  :)

My first Lulu!
 
Oh!  I just realized this, too!  My first Lulu is actually my first pair of 'Ms. Viv pants'.  I have to remember to tell Makayla that I, too, have 'Ms. Viv pants'!  LOL
 
No WOD yesterday.  We had dinner plans and I planned to let it be a WOD rest day in hopes that I would still get my scheduled 2.5 mile run in.  That didn't happen, either.  So, I have 2.5 miles to get in after work today.  And, I have 4 miles planned with Ashley tomorrow.  Seriously, hoping my week without sodas is evident in tomorrow's run!

1 comment:

  1. Love this post, Nicole!! I'm terrified of Crossfit. I did six intro classes and have been lifting on my own prior to that, but the whole environment intimidates me. The WODs scare me. I suck at endurance, but WANT to be an athlete. I want to rock those WODs and I want to run a 10k without stopping.. it's scary though.. :)

    ReplyDelete