Friday, November 30, 2012

What have I been doing?

I began to regroup a few weeks ago.  What have I been doing?

I decided I wanted to properly train for a half marathon.  But, I didn't have one in mind and nothing (in my area) was within the time frame I was looking for.  So, I decided to pick a fake race day to train for.  Because the Whole Life Challenge was over on November 10th and I knew that I needed something to focus on or I would revert back to old habits and I was actually eager to get started, so I picked Monday, November 12th as my start date to train for fake race day.

I began to search the Internet for different training plans.  I was looking for one that started with low mileage (I didn't feel like I was ready to start with 3 mile runs and I was right), didn't have me running more than three days a week and didn't have back-to-back running days.  I also wanted to find one that was 16 or 18 weeks long.  In the beginning, I didn't think I would be able to find one to fit all three of my criteria (as simple as they sound) but I did!  I was pretty excited when I stumbled across this training plan.  I printed it out, marked it up with my dates and determined that fake race day was going to be Saturday, February 23, 2013.

And, guess what?  I learned that one of my good friends was training for her first full marathon.  And, they had a half marathon as well.  And, the race day was Sunday, February 24th!  For real!  I haven't actually registered for the race; however, I am giving some serious consideration to turning fake race day into real race day and following her to Fort Worth to run the Cowtown Half Marathon.  She will have her daughters there with her; and, I will take mine.  We have discussed making this a girls' weekend with our core group of best (running) pals and our daughters.  It's exciting to think about!

So, I have completed three solid weeks of training and have knocked out two of this week's three training runs.  For my third training run this week, I am running the Jingle Bell 5K Run with my sparkly friends while our kiddos run the Kids 1K.  I am feeling really good about my scheduled runs and quite accomplished with the fact that I have actually stuck to it and I am seeing improvement in how I feel when running.

I have also kept up with my strength/conditioning training.  I absolutely consider my trainers my very good friends and look forward to visiting the box.  I try to go on days that I am not running and even an extra day in between.  I even went on my birthday!

What have you been doing?  Are you on dailymile?  Twitter?  I have a dailymile and Twitter account; however, I am not very active on both and I would like to change that!  Will you join me there?!

dailymile: http://www.dailymile.com/people/nicolenolen#ref=tophd
Twitter: https://twitter.com/revvedrunner

No comments:

Post a Comment